Our Museum:

*is housed in the restored 1918 BNZ building on Main Street

*researches the history of Otaki and the surrounding district

*collects objects, stories, and images of interest

* has an extensive photographic collection and many early copies of the town's newspaper, the Otaki Mail

* holds archival material relating to the town, including records from Otaki School and the Otaki Borough Council

* records and collects oral history interviews

* tells Otaki's stories through a changing exhibition programme

* is digitising its collections.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Te Horo Book Launch

The official book launch for “Changing Faces of Te Horo”, will be held at St Margaret's Church, Te Horo on Sunday, 28 March, 2010. The publication records the exhibition “Changing Faces of Te Horo” sponsored by the Otaki Heritage Bank Preservation Trust and open to the public at the Otaki Museum, from August to October 2009. The exhibition and publication are the culmination of a two year process that began with a desire to celebrate Te Horo and its community.

Te Horo resident and Otaki Museum Trustee, Catherine Gibson, was appointed to manage the project and a team of volunteers was assembled to help with research. Over a dozen oral history interviews with Te Horo’s older residents were recorded. These oral history interviews include accounts of hardship during the Depression, the challenges of the wartime years, and the more recent subdivision of Te Horo’s old farms. Here, then, is an illustrated record of Te Horo’s past, founded on the memories of local people.

Update: The book is now available for sale from Otaki Museum, Otaki Travel Ltd, The Red House Cafe and selected agents.

No comments:

Post a Comment